Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Pneumonia!!

Unbelievable luck that we caught the pneumonia because if we had not the chemo most likely would have done irreversible damage.

Essentially, after arriving by ambulance at the hospital and being given 10 liters of oxygen, to which he did not respond like they wanted, they gave him some kind of assisted breathing machine and he had trouble with that because he said he could not cough. A short while later one of the resident doctor's came in and said they wanted to put him on a ventilator but gave me some song and dance about how they thought it was another pulmonary embolism and that if it turned out it was he might need surgery. I then told him that unless the request to put the ventilator came directly from a medical doctor I was not going to agree so while they went to get him on the phone the respiratory therapist told me that basically if we did not go along with this we would lose him as his lungs were failing. That being said, I opened the curtain pointed at the resident and said "go ahead" provided you sedate him first. I then told Chris that I wanted to let them put the tube in until we knew what was going on. I promised him that as soon as I knew what was going on we would be able to make a decision. He agreed and once they sedated him they put the tube in. Then they took him up for his CT scan, then they took him into ICU, then i sat around for a while.

My brother and sister in law came to visit and so did my sister. My mother is on her way and my aunt (her sister) will be arriving tomorrow. My brother in law will be arriving tomorrow night so Chris will be surrounded by someone other than me for the next few days.

We are looking at a minimum of 10-14 days before he can begin chemo.

No comments:

Post a Comment