Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Never gave up

I'm sorry to report that after a 15 hour fight with a body that was ready to give up we lost Chris at 2:08 this morning. I had asked him on Thursday when he said he was ready to go to hospice that he please hold on until Tuesday and he did just that. For someone with one functioning lung and a heart that the doctor's had been concerned with he just fought and fought and fought for hours and hours. I believe that up until the very end that he was able to hear us because periodically as we would be talking in the room we got some kind of reaction.

I apologize to Chris's former co-workers who came to pay him a visit only to find him as he was, but please know he did hear you even when he was unable to respond.

It's almost 4AM and I am going to finish my drink and head to bed.

Thank you to everyone for your well wishes, thoughts, prayers and anything else that you did to try to help him beat this evil disease. While his wish would have been to share his organs, unfortunately, that is not possible with cancer patients. At best, his corneas might be of value but since nobody came to see me I am going to say that won't happen either.

Love to all and I hope that you take comfort in knowing he did not suffer and that he is absolutely 100% adamant that his life be celebrated. We will be organizing a short "gathering" on a Saturday morning followed by a party at our local bar/restaurant where we will share good memories, and honor his memory exactly how he would want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment